How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102342
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgment issued by the Circuit Court. After several

Customer Question

I have a judgment issued by the Circuit Court for rent. After several failed attempts to convince the defendants to pay, I prepared a discovery interrogatory to find out their employer information and had a process server deliver it to them so then I could then ask for a writ from the court to garnish their wages. They did not respond to the discovery request. I do have a previous check for an out-of-state bank so think filing a request for foreign judgment is an option, although a painful one.
Just wondering what my options are, if any, to get their employer information?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Someone in your situation wants to do the following:

1) Ensure that any post-judgment discovery was done properly.
2) Assuming that it has, and the Defendant has not responded, then one can file a Motion to Compel. This motion will ask the Judge to force them to answer. If they do not, then they may be held in contempt and fined, jailed, etc.

This is the way that someone gets parties to abide by court orders.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.