How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seeking a non provisional patent and the patent

Customer Question

I am seeking a non provisional patent and the patent attorneys seem to be arguing over who is better at getting me a patent. I first went through inventionhome and figured out it was more of a scam than anything. I received a non provisional from global intellectual properties and they said they can do a non provisional for 5000.00. However they also said that there is no guarantee that I will receive a patent and that my 5000 was kind of a gamble. Is this true and is another firm any better a securing a patent? Please help me with this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Hire an actual, licensed (both state and patent bar) attorney. They may charge you a bit more than these invention sites, but they will actually help you protect your intellectual property.

These other services usually can get you a provisional patent, but unless this is done exactly right it is not going to provide you with any protection, and it is not really what you need to take your invention from the concept stage to production (where you actually plan to make money off of the idea).

The NOLO press offers a good book about how to patent ideas ("Patent it Yourself"), and this can help you be a more informed consumer when working with your IP attorney, but if you really want to protect your design, you need to hire a lawyer.

(I know that customers don't come here to be told "go hire a lawyer" but I would hate to see you throw away $5k on a service that isn't going to give you what you really need).

Again, you want a lawyer that is not only licensed for the state, but also with the Patent Bar (USPTO).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).