Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Therefore Puerto Rico can not regulate, by ordering export

Customer Question
information printed on UHT milk...
Therefore Puerto Rico can not regulate, by ordering export information printed on UHT milk , and use of a different package for UHT milk, than UHT milk sold for sale in intra PR market also processed in US but sold to PR distributor and then resold for
export to British Virgin Islands or ,say the island of Martinique, a Deparment of France.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/5/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your new question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The problem with PR is they are not a state, as such they operate under Federal laws of the US, but also under their own laws. Unlike US States, where federal law occupies the field, PR does not play under the same exact rules as a territory and not a state. Puerto Rico since 1991 was supposed to adopt standards in accordance with FDA standards, but they still have their own regulation and have been trying to enforce these regulations and actually there has been a suit filed against them in the US District Courts over this type of regulation just recently and no decision has been made as it was only filed recently.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney