How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34442
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is an unsigned promissory note collectable in the state of

Customer Question

Is an unsigned promissory note collectable in the state of Michigan? Initiated by email.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.

An unsigned note is not enforceable in Michigan or any other state. However, the loan obligation may still be enforceable if there is other evidence, such as correspondence or prior payments, that an intent to make a loan and repay it.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has been making payments since 2012 inconsistently and when he can. He also has had communication with the lender. They want the entire amount paid in full, saying that is what the note says, however, my husband never agreed to the note because they wanted $10,000 down, which he didn't have because he didn't have it. Does he have any options to get rid of this debt? Bankruptcy, etc? He filed bankruptcy after the deal fell through in 2010, so I know he can't do that now. Can they take him to court over this or garnish his wages?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.

If ther is no signed agreement then it is a verbal agreement and is payable on demand. So, unfortunately, it can be demanded to be paid on full by the lender at any time.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.

Ifnhe does not pay then the lender would have to sue.

Bankruptcy could be an option to discharge the debt.