LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I have broken my rental lease agreement because of my cat

Customer Question

I have broken my rental lease agreement because of my cat causing damage to a 15 ft by 20 ft area of carpet. I had a verbal agreement on Wednesday 09/02/15 with the landlord for me to repair the damage done and to dispose of the cat. The next day, Thursday 09/03/15 my landlord gave me a company letter saying I needed to remove the cat and also to move from the premises. I attempted to contact her but she refused to even speak with me. Then today Friday 09/04/15 she sends me another company letter saying that I have still not corrected the issue of removing the cat therefore I need to vacate the premises by Monday 09/07/15. My lease expires on 11/30/15 and my rent is completely paid through 12/31/15. My question is what are my options?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. When you moved in, did the landlord know you had a cat and allowed it? Also, how did they know of the damage?