Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I have a LOT of credit card debt. My x-fiancé got massive

Customer Question

I have a LOT of credit card debt. My x-fiancé got massive credit cards and ran up bills I cannot possible pay back. My question is, if I just stop paying them entirely, I'm aware of the harassment they will put me through, threaten lawsuits, etc...
But if I just stand silent and not admit she acquired the cards by falsifying our income, what can they do? They cannot file credit card fraud because they cannot prove it, right?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Did she commit fraud when she opened them up? If not, and they were legitimately opened up in your names, they will simply sue both of you and make you testify in court regarding how the account was set up. If you claim it was fraud, you could be exposing her to criminal penalties. Also, if she testifies that it was legitimately opened in both of your names, and they can produce ANY other evidence that it was legit, you will likely lose anyway.