Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am listed as 2nd on a power of attorney friend..I have

Customer Question
I am listed as 2nd...
I am listed as 2nd on a power of attorney for a friend..I have tried to help this friend who has some problems, and now wish to be off this power of attorney. How do I remove myself from this responsibility? He prepared it in 2008.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/4/2015
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

I am sorry for this dilemma. As the agent for a power of attorney you have no obligation to continue to serve; that is, you can terminate your duties at any time.

One way to do this would be to send a letter to your friend letting them know that you no longer agree to serve as agent. This would allow them to find another alternate agent for their power of attorney.

Keep a copy of this letter for your records case is ever becomes an issue.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Attorney