LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

How is the statute of limitations in small claims court in

Customer Question

How long is the statute of limitations in small claims court in Lorain County, Ohio
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Can you share with me what the cause of action is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was living with a man, I had to move out. Had a restraining order that he violated so many times. Just wanted my things back. Not only did he steal my china, silver etc.. He destroyed all of my pictures by ripping the up or writing on them horrible things. One was my high school picture. He cut it up and put it on the side of a moving box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Call me as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish someone would call me better explaining the situation over the phone.(###) ###-####

Thank you for the additional information. Damage to property, has a 2 year statute of limitations. Once this happened, the time would start to run, so a cause of action would need to be filed prior to its expiration. Now, if there was a restraining order in place, the police should have been called and he would have been arrested and charged with the violation. Moreover, the court could have ordered that he replace, return and pay for anything taken and damaged, as part of the sentence imposed, since he would need to make you whole and pay restitution.

I am not able to speak over the phone at this time but am happy to answer any additional questions which you may have.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!