Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in a 55+ community with strict guest rules. My

Customer Question
neighbor has 2 adults and...
I live in a 55+ community with strict guest rules. My neighbor has 2 adults and a young child living with her for over 3 months. The property manager has been trying to get them out but said the process takes well over 90 days. I know that they had visa for 6 weeks they are from Turkey. Now they are threatening me as I live acrosss the street and have seen them sneaking in and out of the house. Is there anyhtign I can do the police will not help until they physical hurt me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/3/2015
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

In addition to your association enforcing its rules, you can take action personally in the form of a private nuisance suit against these neighbors. Although they may feel as if they have the right to do whatever they please on their property, those rights are limited by the impact they may have on others. You have the right to file a private nuisance claim if their actions deprive you of the peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your property which results in the deprivation of the habitability of your property. The fact that you have strict rules in place preventing your neighbors from their actions only buttresses your claim. You should file suit for private nuisance and ask the court to award you both damages for the past deprivation of the full enjoyment of your property and an injunction prohibiting further interference with such enjoyment. If they then violate the injunction, they will be in contempt of court and subject to civil and/or criminal sanctions. In my experience, the mere filing of the suit itself leads to a resolution of the matter without actually having to get to the hearing. It's amazing the chilling impact being served with a summons that one is being sued does to cause them to cease and desist in their offending behavior.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney