How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know if it's possible to subpoena my emails

Customer Question

I would like to know if it's possible to subpoena my emails that I deleted for a civil case to provide proof for a Rent & Possession case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and thank you for requesting I provide you information in this regard

If you have a pending case in the courts, you can request a subpoena from the clerk of the court and then subpoena the deleted emails. They are never permanently deleted and your email provider should have them on a server. However, you cannot get a subpoena without having a pending matter in the court system.

So you can file your lawsuit, subpoena your records and if you find they do not provide the evidence you hoped for, or that the provider does not maintain old emails after a certain amount of time, you dismiss the case.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you