Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My motorcycle was impounded in Barstow cal. on 8-7-2015 fof

Customer Question

my motorcycle was impounded in Barstow cal. on 8-7-2015 fof 30 days becuz I don't have a bike liscense is the tow company supposed to send me notification within 2 days
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

According to CA law, the impounding agency (not the tow company), within two working days of impoundment, shall send a notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the legal owner of the vehicle, at the address obtained from the department, informing the owner that the vehicle as been impounded. Failure to notify the legal owner within two working days shall prohibit the impounding agency from charging for more than 15 days' impoundment when the legal owner redeems the impounded vehicle. The impounding agency shall maintain a published telephone number that provides information 24 hours a day regarding the impoundment of vehicles and the rights of a registered owner to request a hearing. The law enforcement agency shall be open to issue a release to the registered owner or legal owner, or the agent of either, whenever the agency is open to serve the public for regular, nonemergency business. See: CA Veh Code 14602.6.

However, that is the only notice you are supposed to receive and if you did not receive it, you have a right to go to court to get the bike released and also to not pay storage beyond the time stated in the statute.