Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Greetings: My wife quit claimed me under what I understand

Customer Question

Greetings:
My wife quit claimed me under what I understand to be fraudelant circumstances. We were both on the title for a cabin in the mountains which we owned for 15 years. The reasons I believe the transaction were fraudelant are as follows;
A) I did indeed sign the quit claim, however it was notorized without my being present.
B) she had her mother, my inlaw, notorize the deed. My umderstanding is a relative cannot notorize the deed.
C) I was not of sound mind when I signed the document. I had been in a horrible accident and therefore was prescribed heavy narcotics as well as potent benzodiazapines.
Doesnt the notary have to be in the presence of the signer? In Washington state isnt unlawful for a family member to be the notorizer? What can I do to reverse this deed? I do know the statue of limitations is 6 years. This occurred 2 years ago. Please help. This situation is detremental to my moving forward in life. I purchased this property 15 years ago through hard work and dedication. This cabin was my dream.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I'm sorry to hear that you are having such problems. First, the deed might be fraudulent if you were told that you were signing something other than a deed. An improper notarization might render the deed voidable under RCW 64.04.020. The person signing must appear before the notary. The fact that the notary is related to the Grantee is not in and of itself a fatal defect. Voiding a deed requires a lawsuit and a court judgment. A $25,000 fee for such legal service seems extraordinarily high, and you might want to shop around for another lawyer.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

HELLO AGAIN. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.