Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

We live in Kansas. My daughter is 15 years old and is seeing

Customer Question

We live in Kansas. My daughter is 15 years old and is seeing a 24 year old male? Is this right, or can we as parents do something legal about this 24 year old male.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Dating is different for everyone. If they're just spending time together, going out, and not having sexual relations, that's perfectly legal. But I also know that's not what dating means to most people. Any fondling or touching of your daughter or himself with the intent to arouse either of them is considered indecent liberties with a child, in violation of Kans. Stat., Section 21-5506. She is legally incapable of consenting because she is not 16 years old or older. That's a felony. If they've had sex, it's a level 3 person felony, which means he could go to jail for several years. The starting sentence for someone who is convicted, with no prior criminal record, is 82 months.

Call the police again. It may not be rape, but it is illegal. If the detective won't help you, go up the chain of command. If they're communicating online, you may be able to have the FBI charge him with luring a child for sexual purpose or a similar crime.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.