How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19111
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

XXXXXX, Ok so i need help with this im a victim of identity

Customer Question

Hi guys My Name is***** so i need help with this im a victim of identity theft based on the information given i was trying to figure out am i entilted to any restitution being one of the affected victims in this case?? please help
U.S. Department of Justice - VNS
1:08 PM (6 hours ago)
to me
September 01, 2015 U.S. Department of Justice
USAO - District of New Hampshire *****, 4th FL
Concord, NH###-##-####
Phone:(###) ###-####
Fax:(###) ###-####
Re: United States v. Defendant(s) XXXXXXXXXXX
Case Number ***** and Court Docket Number XXXXXXXXXXXX
Dear Andre XXXXXX:
The enclosed information is provided by the United States Department of Justice Victim Notification System (VNS). As a victim witness professional, my role is to assist you with information and services during the prosecution of this case. I am contacting you because you were identified by law enforcement as a victim during the investigation of the above criminal case.
Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXXX was sentenced by the Court. The Court ordered the defendant to the following:
Incarceration of 13 year(s)
Special Assessment of $300.00.
Through the Victim Notification System (VNS) we will continue to provide you with updated scheduling and event information as the case proceeds through the criminal justice system. You may obtain current information about this case on the VNS website at or from the VNS Call Center at 1-866-DOJ-4YOU (1-***-***-****) (TDD/TTY: 1-***-***-****) (International: 1-***-***-****). In addition, you may use the Call Center or Internet to update your contact information and/or change your decision about participation in the notification program.
You will use your Victim Identification Number (VIN) 'XXXXXXXX' and Personal Identification Number (PIN) 'XXXX' anytime you contact the Call Center and the first time you log into VNS on the website. If you are receiving notifications with multiple victim ID/PIN codes please contact the VNS Call Center. In addition, the first time you access the VNS website, you will be prompted to enter your last name (or business name) as currently contained in VNS. The name you should enter is XXXXXX.
Remember, VNS is an automated system and cannot answer questions. If you have other questions which involve this matter, please contact this office at the number listed above.
Sincerely, *****
Victim Witness Specialist
If you do not want to receive email notifications from the Victim Notification System (VNS) please log into the VNS Web site at, select "My Information", remove your email address and click the "update" button. If you remove your email address, you will continue to receive letters from VNS except in those case which have large numbers of victims. To change your email address, select "My Information", provide a new address and click the "update" button.
If you do not want to receive any notifications in your case, select "Stop Receiving Notifications" and follow the instructions on the screen.
If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact the office listed at top of the email message.
Please note, if this is the first notification you have received from VNS you will need to wait 4-8 hours from receipt of this email before you can login to the VNS Internet site ( In addition, it will also be 4-8 hours before any documents which may have been uploaded to VNS as part of this notification are available under the "Downloads/Links" section on the Web page.
Please call the Victim Notification System (VNS) Help Desk at phone number 1-***-***-**** for assistance and questions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know to know if im entitled to some type of settlement/restitution?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please feel free to give me a call at XXX XXX XXXX with further information
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The notice that you posted did not indicate that he was ordered to pay restitution. So, you will not be entitled to any restitution if none was ordered by the Court. However, you may file a civil lawsuit for damages.

You need to contact the Help Desk as instructed if you require more information on the case.