How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is more than a longshot that you're answer will be yes.

Customer Question

This is more than a longshot that you're answer will be yes. So, here goes.... I have a fiance who was killed by his father the day after his father learned of our engagement (motive:money). His parents managed to block all investigations by not allowing an autopsy (religous objections - they're not religous), and telling the cops that their son was suicidal because he was losing his job (the ME's report has no cause of death. It says :undetermined "pending further (police) investigation"). 1 phone call by NYPD detectives to his place of work (hedgefund) would have brought to light that he was far from losing his job. His job had raised 100 million dollars for him to branch out & have his very own hedge fund. The plice,w/1 call, also would have found out that the night b4 his death was a celebration dinner 4all the primary investors putting up the 100million in capital, and for my fiance, and his newly formed hedge fund team - Big Dinner. This lack of action on the part of the NYPD
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the ME has stated cause of death was undetermined and left to police investigation, then it is up to the police to do a proper investigation. If NYPD precinct homicide did not do a thorough investigation and you have called them with your evidence then your only other recourse with NYPD is filing a complaint to the Police Commission to see if they will order an investigation. If NYPD still refuses to investigate your claims and your evidence, you need to make an appointment with your DA's office and bring them the evidence you have.

I am afraid that those are your very limited options in this type of case, because the DA and NYPD have the sole discretion on these investigations and how they are conducted and if they do not find your evidence convincing enough I am afraid that there are no other legal options available to you other than hiring a private investigator to dig up more concrete evidence that this was a homicide to present to the DA.