How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116787
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Comcast billed me invoice resident that rented a home after

Customer Question

Comcast billed me for an invoice for a resident that rented a home after me. Have spent two years providing documentation and they still have not credited my invoice. I want to get a Civil Ligation lawyer to pursue my case, but no one is returning my call
(called 3 lawyers. When my husband was in a car wreck they were breaking down my door.) Comcast has filed against my credit report. Allowed reactivation of my account without my authorization. I have spent hours on the phone and with no results. I will ask
for a manager to call me back but they never do. This happened on the heels of Hurricane Isaac. It has been very stressful trying to get a mortgage for a loan. I feel like they have tortured me! Two years and of lies and no resolution. 1. What can I sue Comcast
for? (they filed against my credit report and refused to clear a debt that is not mine) 2. Should I try a different type of lawyer? 3. How should I word things to get a response? 4.Why is no one returning my call? (is this considered non-lucrative) 5. How
much (ball park) can I expect to pay? The debt was $425 but, it is more about them filing against my credit and refusing to fix their error. I would like to make an example of their lack of customer service.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need a consumer protection law attorney. If they are falsely reporting a debt that is not your debt or incorrectly reporting a debt, they are in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and can be liable to you for all damages you incurred plus attorney's fees and you can file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission as well. You need to start though by sending a dispute letter telling them that pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act the debt being reported is not valid and must be removed from your credit report within 30 days pursuant to the Act or you will file suit for damages plus attorney's fees and you will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for their improper reporting. You must send the letter to all three of the major credit bureaus and open a dispute. Attach any proof you have the debt is not yours again, I know you sent it to Comcast already, but attach it to this letter to the credit bureaus.

Then, if they refuse to remove the debt, then a consumer protection attorney locally is the type of attorney you need to file suit either in the State District Court in your Parish or in the US District Court for violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.