How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116817
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Elderly parents married 50 yrs only have SSI he left after

Customer Question

Elderly parents married 50 yrs only have SSI he left after she was but in hospices didn't call her as well took his with him and left us her son to pay for every thing now they Owen a home that we are going to sell which has been slit in half by deed can we make him pay for her expense we had to put out
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, if he is the surviving spouse, he is an heir and he is liable to pay from the estate for the costs that you had to put out for the expenses of the estate. He is also an heir though as a surviving spouse, so any costs that come out can come out of his share of the estate inheritance he is entitled to. Also, under FL law, the FL Rules of Probate Procedure make it mandatory that you hire a local FL probate attorney to pursue this to wind up the estate and recover expenses through the probate process.