How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My real Service Dog was killed from a fake Service Dog.

Customer Question

My real Service Dog was killed from a fake Service Dog.
Beside paying $3000.00 for the Veterinarian to safe her, she still didn't make it.
What are my rights and what can I do ?
I really do need a Service Dog !!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

The other dog's owner is liable for the actions of their canine (whether it was a "real" service dog or a "fake" one - so this is not a defense if they even tried to use it).

You can make a report to law enforcement, they should deal with a dog like this.

You can also file a lawsuit against the dog's owner to receive monetary compensation from the owner. You can sue for up to $10,000.00 in small claims without needing a lawyer. See: Your damages include both the cost of the veterinary bills, but also the cost of replacing your service animal.

(I do know how much it costs to replace a service dog, and that $10 grand is probably short, but if you need to sue for more than this it will put you in general civil court, this is a little more complex procedurally so I do recommend that you at least speak with a lawyer for a consultation prior to filing suit - you can still represent yourself, but it takes a bit more work).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What lawyer do I have to look for ?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

You will want to speak with a civil litigation attorney.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are very nice, but this wasn't really very helpful. I didn't learn anything new 😢
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry that the information was not very helpful. I have provided you with the proper remedies (both reporting the matter to law enforcement and filing a civil suit. One to deal with the dog and punish the owner criminally, and the second one to compensate you for the loss).

If you have further questions I would be happy to answer them for you.