Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is a doctor legally able to do regarding a dementia

Customer Question
patient driving? What is...
What is a doctor legally able to do regarding a dementia patient driving? What is my spousal duty, other than try to enlist a doctor's help in removing a driver's license, regarding the removal of the license and insurance company obligations? My husband has a doctor's appointment in which the doctor has agreed to help in taking away my husband's driver's license. He has a volatile temper so I knew that this was the safest way to make the attempt.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/30/2015
Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

The South Carolina DMV will accept information from courts, police officers, physicians and other DMV personnel about an individual’s potentially unsafe driving. Once they are informed, the DMV, at their discretion, may initiate an investigation regarding an unsafe driver.

Also, after age 65, a driver must have his or her license renewed every 5 years. In order to get it renewed, he may be required to take a written driving rules test, which may be very difficult for him to pass if he's suffering from dementia.

Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney