Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I currently live in a state where my employer requires me to

Customer Question

I currently live in a state where my employer requires me to live in the state (Pennsylvania). I currently own a home in the state but I am looking to move to a neighboring state (New Jersey) and keep my current job and commute. We are moving for a better school system and do plan on renting our current home. I am not sure if this is a viable option. Based on the job requirements. Any advice?
Travis
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Could you explain your employer's requirement that you live in-state? Are there any exceptions or provisions that allow you to live within a certain mileage from the border?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The employer is the state of pennsylvania DOT and from viewing what I can online I haven't been able to find any exceptions. I could ask questions to HR but do not want to create any waves in my office. Was hoping to get outside advice before pursuing it.

The only thing I can tell you is that your employer has the legal right to make and enforce this requirement. Whether they waive that requirement for you is an internal policy decision, but they may legally make you live in state.

Does that answer your question? If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.