socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

If a Judge is considered by the Bar to be inactive can that

Customer Question

If a Judge is considered by the Bar to be inactive can that judge preside our a case in open court?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

All California judicial officers are marked as inactive in the State Bar of California records, during their term of office. The reason for this is that a judge while in office is not permitted to practice law as an attorney representing clients. See Calif. Code of Judicial Ethics, Canon 4(G) (precluding judges from practicing law); Cal. Bus. & Prof.Code § 6002 (sitting judges are not members of State Bar).

So, the answer to your question is, "yes," the judge can preside over a case in open court.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!