How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55450
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am in dire need of assistance in regards to finding lawyer

Customer Question

Am in dire need of assistance in regards ***** ***** lawyer in regards ***** ***** evicted from house that I reside in with ex boyfriend. Have servere medical issues and no where else to live. long and complicated story. having surgery on morning of September 10th 2015. need dire help as to how long that I can push back move out date. have no place else to live. have major health issues which include BiPolar, Epilepsy and have now been diagnosed with Merlagia something,can not spell word. Nerve damage in left leg,also have neuroloigal disorder from head injury resulting due to car accident from May4th 2015. Yet to be dignosed. Please I beg of someone to help me. Have all documention from everything. No when I moved back into ex but then sometimes on boyfriends home I have had my own room every since then. Begging that attorney contact me at 703-xxx-xxxx so that I can best explain situation and all documentation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

You can buy yourself a good bit of time You can basically ignore any verbal notices he gives you because they are basically have much more time before they can make you leave. Even though there is no lease and even though you pay no rent, you are considered an "at will" tenant, which is treated legally as a month to month tenant. As such, you must be given at least 30 days written notice to terminate your tenancy pursuant to Va. Code Ann § 55-223. Then, if you do not leave, the law does not allow the owner to forcibly evict you without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if termination date comes and you do not move out, the owner cannot simply change the locks or throw your things out. Rather, what the owner has to do is to then deliver a 5-Day Notice to quit...which basically says you have 5 days to leave or face eviction. But, if you still have not left, the owner must then file an unlawful detainer petition with the court for an eviction order. Depending upon the court's docket, it can take anywhere from about 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing. Only when a judge has issued the eviction order can the owner have you evicted. That will buy you a good bit of time. If he takes any actions to force you out before that, call the police as it will be an illegal eviction and the police will prevent him from forcing you out without an eviction order issued by the court.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be taking my lunch break for the next hour or so. Should you have a follow up before I return, I will address it immediately upon my return. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.