TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I was evicted last week and told them I would get everything

Customer Question

I was evicted last week and told them I would get everything out by the first however they are not allowing me access when I'm available- I normally work daily from 8:15a.m.until 5:30 or 6 but the property manager said I can only gets belongings when they're in the rental office and inky of two reps are working otherwise I cannot have access- I was planning on moving after work tonight through Monday night however they will NOT LET me inside. I can't afford to hire a moving company.., so how do I get my belongings ??
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'm sorry to say that the property manager has the right to require that you come to get your things during regular office hours when they have two reps working. This assumes that it's not at unreasonable times (e.g., 3 AM). If it's during regular working hours, then you will need to take time off of work to make the move. There is no law that would require the property manager to allow you access during the evening or at other times when it is inconvenient for them (again, assuming the times that they provide are considered reasonable, such as during regular business hours).

I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I take time off work then I will be fired! I work for a very busy office and my boss will not allow me time off - no way no how- I can move tomorrow but there is only one person in the office - why can't I ask them to let me in - they leave the office to show future tenants the property all day long so why can't they just open my apartment and at closing time come lick the doors! This does not seem unreasonable !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lock not lick ... Sorry
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

Q: why can't they just open my apartment and at closing time come lick the doors! This does not seem unreasonable !

A: They can do that. The issue, however, is whether they are required to do that. I'm sorry to say that the law does not require them to do that. In this case, they are allowing you access during regular business hours. Since you were evicted, their desire to be present while you move your things would be viewed as reasonable since they may be worried that you'll damage their property our of anger. Under these circumstances, I don't believe that a judge would side with you on this one. Moreover, even if a judge would side with you, how would you get a judge to make that ruling? You'd have to sue and appear in court during regular working hours (when you could have been moving). Given these facts, it's just not feasible that you can force the landlord to allow you access in the evening.

I'm really sorry for the bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time TJ - have a great evening
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You as well. I'm really sorry that I could not give you good news, but I know that you wanted an honest response and not nonsense that wastes your time and money. I truly wish you the best.