How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55472
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I enrolled in a professional continue education school I

Customer Question

I enrolled in a professional continue education school I have a contract with the school for a flat rate to get me the education and prerequisites then state requires so I can practice here in the state of California, I have two classes left to complete my prerequisites , I have been told that if I want to finish my school I have to pay in advance the next two classes, so I have took account of my payments as of today, the total of the program is $7,100.00 dollars, I have paid $7,818.00 , $718.00 dollars over the signed contract n they are telling my I have to pay another $800.00 dollars if I want to finish the school
My name is :Rudy
Can you tell me what to do legally
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

They are in breach of contract and you do have recourse. Since they won't resolve this voluntarily, you want to raise the stakes on them. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and their default, and demand they allow you to take these last two courses for no additional charge and refund your overpayment within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if they do not timely comply with your demand, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Legal Questions