How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested last week and we 't know what will be

Customer Question

My son was arrested last week and we don't know what will be the outcome. He has a leased car that has 5 months left to end of the lease. He can't do anything at this point and we don't know what to do with it. Does the law require that we turn it in to the car dealer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The leased vehicle will have to be turned in at the end of the lease. However, if the lease payments are not made because your son is unable to pay, then the car will be subject to being repossessed.

So that the car is protected from damage that would make your son liable for more than just the remaining lease payments, it would be wise to turn the car back in early to the dealership and let them deal with how they will recover the unpaid lease payments for the remainder of the lease.

If you son is expected to get out on bail in the near future, then it might be best if the vehicle remains available for him when he is released. However, if his release is unlikely in the next few months, the best move would be to get his permission to return the car to the dealer. However, the law does not require that the vehicle be returned at this time.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,