How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I want to get separated. She is mentally ill and

Customer Question

My wife and I want to get separated. She is mentally ill and cannot get a job. If we use the 'legal separation' form that you have on your website, would she be able to get government help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Please understand that you have reached, and it does not provide any forms. You may be speaking about another website. So, I need to know:

1) What website are you referring to?
2) What form are you referring to?
3) What kind of government programs, or just government help in general?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Free separation agreement from law
To get financial and medical help from state or government.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Do you have a LINK to it?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

The document you are referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

See HERE for California state assistance programs. If a program is means-tested (meaning it is based on income), then aside from this agreement, she would have to show that her income and money is SEPARATE from yours. If so, then she may still qualify for the program in many cases.

For non means-tested programs, the separation does not matter.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

However either for SSI or, separation does NOT mean that you would not be counted. SSI/SSDI generally do not recognize separation.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.