Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am the trustee and executor of an estate. Someone took the

Customer Question

I am the trustee and executor of an estate. Someone took the funds from the bank account the day after the death in the amount 50,000 thru unauthorized transactions. As trustee how do I account for this an am I liable in any way
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. A Trustee and Executor owe a duty of loyalty, fiduciary duty, and duty of reasonable care when dealing with a trust or the estate. As long as someone in your situation is not seen as an accomplice, or, provided that the theft did not occur due to your negligence or carelessness in any way, then someone in your situation should not be liable.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.