Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live 8 months a year in fl - and 4months in NY I own a

Customer Question

I live 8 months a year in fl - and 4months in NY I own a small coop in NY value 100k the fl apt is valued at 300k - thinking about purchasing a new coop in Ny for my 4 months but the value would be 200k - Recall that the value of the ny coop can't be greater than half the value of my primary residence- is there a rule if so,what is it Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A rule for what? Please explain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a rule as to whether NY state would consider me as a NY state resident for income or estate tax purposes dependent on the value of the NY property -im there no more than 4 months a year -do not want to do anything to to alter my present status as a Florida resident Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

The rule in NY is not based on value of your home there, it is based on the number of months you live there. If you live there more than 6 months you are considered a resident. If you live there less than 6 months you are a resident of the state where you live more than 6 months. It is not based on value of your home, as people have million dollar homes in NY and cheaper homes elsewhere and are still not NY residents because they do not spend the required time in NY, their license is not in NY and they do not vote in NY then their residence is not NY.