Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ive had an ex girlfriend that i havent seen on 12 years but

Customer Question
Hello Ive had an ex...
Hello Ive had an ex girlfriend that i havent seen on 12 years but i get hundreds of calls yearly that come in waves. I keep blocking all the numbers that she calls from and then a new number appears.
I never answer or return those call after 12 years you would think she would go away but i dont thank this is going to happen.
I would change my number but this is my business number.
I would like your advise on this matter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/27/2015
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Someone in your situation may consider getting a restraining order - pure and simple. See HERE. If she breaches this restraining order, she may be criminally charged and/or held in civil contempt by the Court.

In addition or instead, one can simply file a criminal complaint, to make this a criminal matter and then the authorities would take it from there. Even if she is not charged, simply them talking to her may scare her enough to back away. This may be seen as a criminal matter under ALA CODE § 13A-11-8 (harassing communications).

Now, a letter threatening both/either the restraining order and/or the criminal complaint is often good enough to scare people away by itself without escalating this. Let me know if you need a sample letter.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Ely, Counselor at Law