How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been separated since 2001. He recently

Customer Question

My husband and I have been separated since 2001. He recently had 3 strokes. There is no chance for recovery and the hospital wants to dismiss him. He would qualify for Medicaid which would enable him to go to a nursing care facility based on his income. However, if they drag me into the picture, my income may disqualify him. Is there any president for a couple who has been separated for this length of time, filed taxes separately, etc.? I just want his final days to be peaceful and make sure he is cared for.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Have either of you filed for a legal separation?

2. What assets do you presently have?

3. What is your present annual income?

Your issue is quite complex and there is no simple straightforward answer to your dilemma. Part of the issue is federal law and the other is Ohio state marital law. After all, estranged or not, you are still legally married. My explanation of the issues and laws is lengthy and complex and would best be provided in a phone conversation.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.

Thanks in advance,