How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a person obtain Adverse Possession of a grave site if

Customer Question

Can a person obtain Adverse Possession of a grave site if the grave site had a double head stone with both names on it, in place 25 years before a Cemetery District was formed. The husband was buried in the site in the year 2000. Can A Newly formed Cemetery District refuse the wife of the husband to be buried in the plot with her husband at her death?
If the Adverse Possession is possible how would a person go about getting it processed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Adverse possession requires that a person use the land of others, without consent, continuously and in a manner hostile to the true owner, for many years. In the context of a grave site, that's not a concept that would come into play unless the husband was interred without the consent of the property owner, and it doesn't sound like that's the case. The wife had permission to put her name on the gravestone, and she's not physically occupying the space yet, so she has no basis for claiming adverse possession. If the wife paid for a double headstone and for a grave that she and her husband would share, then she has a right to that property under general contract laws. All she (or her next of kin) needs to do is see if she can find the original paperwork showing that she paid for the site.

There shouldn't be any basis for refusing the wife access to a burial site that was long since paid for. If the cemetery will not inter her, they could be held responsible for the costs of finding another location. The wife (if she is still alive) or her estate could actually sue the burial ground. Usually, court is for making someone whole by paying them monetary damages. However, specific performance is allowed in some cases where money damages simply cannot repair the damage to the injured party. So the wife could argue that money is not an adequate substitute for spending eternity next to her husband, and it's possible a judge could order the graveyard to comply with the contract. The cemetery districts were created to provide for maintenance. I'm not finding anything that says changing districts invalidates existing contracts (and there could be a constitutional argument that the law interferes with the right to contract if it did say that).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.