Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We recently remodeled our home which consisted of moving the

Customer Question

We recently remodeled our home which consisted of moving the garage from its original attached left side location, to an unattached ride side, rear location. All permits were pulled for the structure and approved upon finalization. We were told we would need to have the apron part of the driveway (all other parts of driveway have been created) constructed as it is a regulation in our City that all garages must have an apron (or approach) with driveway leading to it.
When we went to pull the permit for the apron portion, City noted that we must close a portion of our old driveway as no one is allowed two driveways.
We were infuriated as this was never communicated upon first demolition. So we went driving around the neighborhood and documented at least 10 homes (within 5 blocks) who either violate the "having a driveway to your garage" rule or violate the "no one can have two driveways" rule.
I've shown this to the City with a complaint as one of the offenders lives across the street from us and has never once been bothered about it. I noted that I feel discriminated against because there's no reason we should be singled out. They had no reasoning behind the other homes not being held to code other than we'll have to look into it. It's been over a month and they have never touched based, what should I do next.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Regrettably, you would need to get a local Attorney who handles municipal and permit issues to assist you with dealing with the City and if necessary file lawsuit against the City for its arbitrary and capricious rules. The rules should be uniformly applied to all residents. The City should not be selectively enforcing its rules.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

justia.com

lawyers.com

Findlaw.com