Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I bud a car week ego, & register to my name in DMV will take

Customer Question

I bud a car week ego, & register to my name in DMV will take two weeks to get new car title,I wanna sell it to my freand should I wait to get a title or I can sell it wit out title, he can get insurance by he's own & drive until I get title, what is the best way I can sell my car in this situation? Thanks ralph
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Although you can sell the car without the title if the other person will buy it without seeing the title, there are some issues for both of you in doing this. First, the other party cannot register the car in their name without the title. This not only means that the car is not legally theirs from a title perspective, but also, you would still be the liable party should the vehicle be involved in an "at fault" accident. Liability follows vehicle ownership, not the driver. So, from that perspective you might want to wait until you can transfer title to hand over the keys to the vehicle. But, technically you can exchange money and keys.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 26th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.