How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42869
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter got t by a drunk driver.s insurance has paid new

Customer Question

My daughter got hit by a drunk driver.his insurance has paid for a new truck and says that they will pay the ER bill at the hospital.she wasn't really hurt.just went to ER that night and no other doctor she sue him or his insurance for compensation or any thing else.ty
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you out tonight.If she lost wages/time from her job that counts here.I would consider having her check out her teeth(dentist) --been hit a few times myself and sometimes you chip teeth when you bite down.Thats a lesson from my own hard knocks.And yes she is entitled to some amount for pain and suffering.I would add up the hospital bill, the dentist and lost wages and ask for 2-3 times what that adds up to.Start high and they likely counter.There is some negotiation.You would not necessarily have to sue they already accepted fault in all of this.

You should be able to get say $5-$10k in my mind as recovery .I would also recommend you keep going to doctor if you are still having aftereffects.The more medical you have her the more pain and suffering.This documents your harm over time.Also if there are any dental problems you can throw those in too.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have mroe follow up.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told by a local lawyer that we couldn't sue because she was not hurt and didn't have a job.I really think my daughter is just trying to get money for nothing.just plain lazy and don't want go find a job.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

I think she is due some money here for pain and suffering.She is bound to have have bruises or aches and pains.Thats really separate from the she needs to get a job issue.She can ask for some amount for her harm here, $5k is really a minimal amount these days.The fact there was a drunk driver makes them way more likely to pay up and walk away.They don't want to get sued when their guy was drunk and at fault.

Thanks again for the chance to help here.

I wish her the best.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.