How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is the police allowed to put unrelated information to the

Customer Question

Doug, is the police allowed to put unrelated information to the incident into their police report? i.e. blocked barn driveway issue, police knocks on door, I invite them into my house/office and show them some pictures. Now the whole world, including all
the thieves in the neighborhood, know that I have an office with a lot of computer equipment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
The police are not limited in what they can put into their report. However, that should not cause you much concern because the report that you made is NOT a public report but a private police issue. As a rule, only a defendant charged with a crime can get a copy of the incident report form the police. This is not something that anyone can just go to the police department and get a copy of.
However, there is nothing illegal about the police indicating in the incident report that your home office contained computer equipment.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.
Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, that would be fine. However, as the Matt, Amanda Kinser's brother (she is the one who filed the criminal trespass charge) told my son a while back, Dave's (Amanda's husband) brother or brother in law is a "Bad egg". That is why Dave had kicked him out of his (rented) house a while back and now he is living there again.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
what are you asking?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a follow up question? I read what you wrote but it seems to merely be a statement about the neighbor.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you.
I wish you well,