How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118732
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I fix up my grandparents usinthe equity but there is

Customer Question

How do I fix up my grandparents usinthe equity but there is no will?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, this is something many heirs wish they can do, but legally it is not something you can do, because in order to get clear title to the property only a probate court can do that by court order. Thus, the only way you can use the equity in the house is you have to probate the estate and you have to put it in your name so then you can use the equity and get a line of credit.
Probate is mandated by law, even when there is a will. The only way to avoid probate is if you were put on the deed by your grandparents as Joint Tenant with Right of Survivorship or if the house was in trust with you as beneficiary. Other than that, I am sorry to say the law mandates probate.