Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I signed a contract with a Home Improvement Contractor, but

Customer Question
Hello I signed a contract with...
Hello
I signed a contract with a Home Improvement Contractor, but I sign the person name who the contract was in.The person who name on the contract didn't see or sign the contract is that a Legal Contract.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/21/2015
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here the person that didn't sign can assert there was no legal contract because they didn't consent or sign.So it can be a valid defense to be asserted by the person who didn't sign that there is no agreement and they did not consent here under NJ law.
If they other party didn't sign it is likely not a valid contract as far as the person who didn't sign and not enforceable.
More about your rights here.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-jersey-laws-home-improvement-contracts.html
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
*PLEASE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THIS.*

The Contractor’s Registration Act requires that all home improvement contractors register
with the N.J. Division of Consumer Affairs and display their registration number listed,
NJHIC#, at the following places:

within their places of business (the original registration certificate)

in all advertisements

on business documents, contracts and correspondence with consumers

on all commercial vehicles

ALL Home Improvement Contracts in excess of $500 and all changes in the terms and
conditions of
the contract, must be in writing and are required to include, but are not limited
to:

the legal name, business address, and contractor’s registration number, and the legal name
and business address of the sales representative

a copy of the certificate of commercial general liability insurance for $500,000 per occurrence,
and the telephone number of the insurance agency issuing the certificate

description of the work to be performed and principal products and materials to be used or
installed

a statement of any guarantee or warranty with respect to any product, material, labor or
service made by the seller of home improvement

description of any mortgage or security interest to be taken in connection with the financing
or sale of the home improvement

total price including finances charges

signatures by all parties involved

notice to the consumer in 10 -point bold faced- type as follows
If you notice they are missing this item under the law from the contract if the person did not sign the contract.
http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/Applications/Home-Improvement-Contractor-Application-Packet-for-Initial-Registration.pdf
It would be a valid defense to claim lack of consent here and no signature as the law requires.
Thanks again.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.
Ray, Lawyer