Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

You helped my yesterday regarding scam emails I recently

Customer Question

You helped my yesterday regarding scam emails I recently received. Thank you. Unfortunately I believe I was the victim of another scam regarding a cash advance and was contacted by someone allegedly from the law firm of Dunn & Foley Law Group, 1 West Biddle
Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. The phone call scared the hell out of me and they demanded I pay $856.92, which I did in March, 2014. Shame on me for doing that. Do I have any recourse in getting this money back?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this. Once a scammer knows that they will get a "live person," then they will generally throw everything they can at them. So it is very likely that this is the same scammer running a different scam, or, associates of the original scammer.
Tell me - HOW did you pay? Credit card? Wire transfer? Etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stupidly provided them with my Visa debit account information and the amount of $852.92 was withdrawn on 3/28/2014. They provided me with a letter dated 3/27/15 stating that they confirmed receipt of the payment with the approval code of(###) ###-####and referenced case #***** Further stated the case had been dropped and I would no longer be liable for any money or damages in the matter. Also stated that if I had questions I could contact their office, however no phone number was on the letterhead (which looked phony to me). Can't begin to tell you how embarrassed I am about this situation. Have totally learned my lesson.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
That is okay - many people fall for this all the time.
It sounds like this was a scam. There is now Dunn & Foley Law Group. Please contact your credit card immediately and check to see if there are any unauthorized charges and dispute any that are, as well as the one for Dunn & Foley Law Group - but that may be too late.
Then, CANCEL the card and ask for another one, as this one has been compromised.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.