Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I've been falsely accused of stealing something from my

Customer Question

i've been falsely accused of stealing something from my job...after they checked the security cameras, which shows me not stealing anything, they still are pursuing this wanting to believe the accusations of another, even to the point of wanting to search my home...what can i do about this and do i have to allow them to come into my home?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
First off, they have no legal right to search your home. That said, in North Carolina, you can be fired witout cause. Meaning, they could fire you for not allowing them to search your home or for any other reason (or no reason at all), so long as they are not firing you for a discriminatory reason (i.e., your race, age, gender, etc.).
Still, if they fire you and give you a reason, you can challenge that reason in court. Most of the time, they will not give you a formal reason, levaing you having to argue that you were fired because of discrimination, which is much harder to prove. In short, wrongful termination lawsuits in at-will employment states like North Carolina are somewhat difficult to win.
Still, they have no legal righ to search your home.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.