How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102141
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a city be sued in Small Claims?

Customer Question

Can a city be sued in Small Claims?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Yes. It is possible to sue a local or state government agency in Small Claims Court. If you have a claim against a city or county, the State of California or any other California public body, such as a School District, etc, you must follow the requirements of the California Government Code.
The requirements to sue are:
-You must present a written claim to the public agency.
-The claim must have been rejected. A copy of this rejection letter must be submitted with your claim, at the time of filing.
-Your suit must be filed in court not later than six months after your claim was rejected or within two years of the incident if no rejection was received.
Claims to the government agency for damage to you or your property must be made within six months of the incident. You have up to one year for claims related to contracts. (For information about the possibility of filing a late claim, consult your attorney). You will be notified by the agency, usually in one or two months, whether your claim is approved or denied.If your claim is denied, you have six months in which to file suit in Small Claims Court. If you do not receive any written notice of rejection, you must file within two years from the date of the incident. Once you file, the procedure is the same as against any other Defendant in a Small Claims suit. You name the public body as defendant c/o the Clerk of the City Council, County Board of Supervisors or other governing board.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.