How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been going to a local dentist 15 years, my last visit

Customer Question

I have been going to a local dentist for about 15 years, my last visit on August 6, 2015 he had to pull out an old crown which he said was leaking, and replace it. It was a back molar, he used a hammer to get it out. today, the 2 small teeth beside it fell out, the one close to the old molar, is jagged, and looks like he damaged it when he was hammering next to it. The bad part is he charged me $2,000.00 for this service. I am 77 years old, and cannot really afford this dental work, but we went into debt to pay it. Also, he told me at this visit that he no longer owned the dental clinic, that he sold it, and he only works there now. What do you suggest I do now, he wants me to come to
see him at 12:00 today. Thank you for any help you can give me/
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

I hope this message finds you well, rpesent circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

You need to be up front and honest. Tell him that you feel as though the new issues are a direct result of his action on the other tooth. Tell him that you cannot and will not pay for the additional work and that you feel as though his previous work on the crown fell below the applicable standard of care, and actually caused you harm.

He should know, and you should as well, that medical and dental malpractice suits are predicated on not meeting the applicable standard of care. This means that he did you do what a reasonable dentist would have done under the circumstances. It also means he had a duty, he breached that duty, and this breach caused you harm.

You could file a suit against the dentist for his actions. In lieu if filing suit, you should seek to have this issue alleviated free of charge and the charge for the other work should be reduced drastically as well.

So, be up front and honest. Tell him his work was not satisfactory and does not meet the standard of care. Tell him you will not pay for work on the two teeth that fell out due to his poor work and that you feel as though the other bill should be reduced.

If he is unwilling to assist or relent, then you need to explore filing suit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please rate my answer positively as well (5 stars).

Thanks and Best Wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in one last time. Let me know if you have any additional questions.