Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it possible to have power of attorney in Israel if living

Customer Question
overseas...
Is it possible to have power of attorney in Israel if living overseas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/18/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you mean you want a PoA that is effective in Israel while you are living out of the country, that is legally permissible. You have the right to execute a Power of Attorney that allows your representative in Israel to act in your behalf in matters in Israel.
I live in Sydney and flew here because my next of kin is in an Israeli hospital with cancer and stroke. I am his closest next of kin with the associated responsibilities for him.
We are both Israeli citizens.
Can I have PoA over his affairs by directly controlling from Sydney without having to trust a local representative to access his finances for payments. Is it possible legally to try to protect his finances through control from Sydney. My uncle having just had a stroke is not deemed by the Doctors as capable of making rational decisions as to who or how to handle his affairs and cannot yet go home possibly never unless he improves mentally. Some of his pending medical costs need to paid privately eg a coming kidney cancer PET scan to assess the level of his cancer.
After his stroke he asked the neighbour who is unknown to us to pay his bills, use his credit cards and look after his house. feed cat etc or should we get someone else. How can we control what they do without fear of them taking advantage?
What about the separate issue of his incoming and outgoing finances outside of his 2 medical conditions?
Should we pay the neighbour to handle his physical/medical matters only with other affairs handled by us?
Can we handle the latter from Sydney or must we be a resident of Israel to do this directly including the separate matter of medical decisions.
Can we monitor his finances from Australia. We are in Tel Aviv at present and need to settle these fears before returning to Sydney. We are back for 2 weeks in November and have other family members here in a fortnight and again in September 25.
My uncle has a solicitor who seems to be suggesting that we give PoA to the neighbour for the medical affairs only of my uncle through the court.
What can we do to ensure the neighbour or anyone does not take financial advantage and ensure his interests are protected?
Thank you for your reply.
For most things you can be PoA from where you are now with him in Israel. For medical decisions, you have to really be present to make those because you would have to sign documents.
So you can give "Limited Healthcare PoA" to the neighbour and you can control all the finances from outside the country with your general PoA.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney