How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116828
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to have power of attorney in Israel if living

Customer Question

Is it possible to have power of attorney in Israel if living overseas
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you mean you want a PoA that is effective in Israel while you are living out of the country, that is legally permissible. You have the right to execute a Power of Attorney that allows your representative in Israel to act in your behalf in matters in Israel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Sydney and flew here because my next of kin is in an Israeli hospital with cancer and stroke. I am his closest next of kin with the associated responsibilities for him.
We are both Israeli citizens.
Can I have PoA over his affairs by directly controlling from Sydney without having to trust a local representative to access his finances for payments. Is it possible legally to try to protect his finances through control from Sydney. My uncle having just had a stroke is not deemed by the Doctors as capable of making rational decisions as to who or how to handle his affairs and cannot yet go home possibly never unless he improves mentally. Some of his pending medical costs need to paid privately eg a coming kidney cancer PET scan to assess the level of his cancer.
After his stroke he asked the neighbour who is unknown to us to pay his bills, use his credit cards and look after his house. feed cat etc or should we get someone else. How can we control what they do without fear of them taking advantage?
What about the separate issue of his incoming and outgoing finances outside of his 2 medical conditions?
Should we pay the neighbour to handle his physical/medical matters only with other affairs handled by us?
Can we handle the latter from Sydney or must we be a resident of Israel to do this directly including the separate matter of medical decisions.
Can we monitor his finances from Australia. We are in Tel Aviv at present and need to settle these fears before returning to Sydney. We are back for 2 weeks in November and have other family members here in a fortnight and again in September 25.
My uncle has a solicitor who seems to be suggesting that we give PoA to the neighbour for the medical affairs only of my uncle through the court.
What can we do to ensure the neighbour or anyone does not take financial advantage and ensure his interests are protected?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
For most things you can be PoA from where you are now with him in Israel. For medical decisions, you have to really be present to make those because you would have to sign documents.
So you can give "Limited Healthcare PoA" to the neighbour and you can control all the finances from outside the country with your general PoA.