How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Local county supervisors are ignoring laws pertaining to

Customer Question

Local county supervisors are ignoring laws pertaining to eliminating protential fire hazards that pose a threat to the life and homes of private citizens. What is the next level of authority that I can contact to file a complaint?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

If you cannot get your elected officials to act, you can consider filing a civil suit against the county for failure to follow state laws.

If you intend to take this course of action, please retain a local attorney to represent you - filing a suit against a government body is more complex than filing suit against a private individual or entity, you must comply with different notice requirements, the government enjoys immunity from many tort actions, and (most important to your case) elected officials have a great deal of discretion in the way that they implement statutory requirements.

None of this is meant to imply you cannot succeed in your suit, only to encourage you to retain counsel if you do file suit - you really will need the additional experience of a practiced civil litigator if you want to win your case.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).