How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102495
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After notifying my company management, and my attacker's

Customer Question

After notifying my company management, and my attacker's company. I was stalked and attacked after coming home from work. I only have the assigned district attorney; however, I am wanting better representation in order assure that the defendant is properly punished as I fear that serious repercussions will soon follow me if the situation is not properly dealt with.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this. What exactly are you asking here, i.e. what is your question?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am needing advice as to which type of attorney will help me, and what type of outcome can I expect from a case like this.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
So your ultimate aim here is to have the individual criminally prosecuted - correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, and I would like to sue his employer for not taking my concerns seriously. He used company flight benefits to fly around following me.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Criminal Prosecution
This is at the prosecutor's discretion. There is no real way to make the prosecutor make their decision quicker. Understand how this works.
1) a police complaint is filed;
2) the police investigate by questioning all parties involved and reviewing the evidence;
3) they pass on the information to the prosecutor;
4) the prosecutor makes a decision whether to charge or not.
It may take up to several months for the prosecutor to reach a decision.
Suing the Employer
To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.
I am not sure one can sue the employer's company as his employer does not owe you any duty to punish, prevent, or otherwise "stop" him from doing anything. However, he of course, may be liable.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.