How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 y/o daughter is a Junior in gh School with some

Customer Question

My 17 y/o daughter is a Junior in High School with some learning disabilities. She took a ride to school with a friend the other day along with 2 other passengers. The driver was smokeing marijuana as well as the other 2 passengers. Once at school, the kids were arrested for possession of drugs and paraphernalia and suspended from school for 10 days. All of the kids in the car collaborated that my daughter was not smoking. The driver admitted that the drugs belonged to her. My daughter has a court date in October. Do I need to get an attorney or will this be dismissed once the facts are told to a judge. My daughter has no prior offences either
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you will want your daughter to be represented by an attorney. Do not take a criminal prosecution lightly (even if you believe the facts to favor you), and do not speak to law enforcement without your attorney present (any more than you already have).

If you can afford an attorney for this matter out of pocket (this is a relatively simple matter, and should not be terribly expensive), I would recommend it (you will get much more individualized service than the Public Defender can provide), if you cannot afford an attorney, ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent your daughter.

You can find local criminal defense attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).