Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My 17 y/o daughter is a Junior in gh School with some

Customer Question
My 17 y/o daughter is...
My 17 y/o daughter is a Junior in High School with some learning disabilities. She took a ride to school with a friend the other day along with 2 other passengers. The driver was smokeing marijuana as well as the other 2 passengers. Once at school, the kids were arrested for possession of drugs and paraphernalia and suspended from school for 10 days. All of the kids in the car collaborated that my daughter was not smoking. The driver admitted that the drugs belonged to her. My daughter has a court date in October. Do I need to get an attorney or will this be dismissed once the facts are told to a judge. My daughter has no prior offences either
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/16/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Yes, you will want your daughter to be represented by an attorney. Do not take a criminal prosecution lightly (even if you believe the facts to favor you), and do not speak to law enforcement without your attorney present (any more than you already have).

If you can afford an attorney for this matter out of pocket (this is a relatively simple matter, and should not be terribly expensive), I would recommend it (you will get much more individualized service than the Public Defender can provide), if you cannot afford an attorney, ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent your daughter.

You can find local criminal defense attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney