How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33134
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Tort of conversion. I HAD A PERSON WANT TO PURCHASE MY ART COLLECTION OF 100 original paintings for$60,000. I delivered them to her and she put them into a locked room and then said she couldn't afford the but has refused to return them to me. There was no signed contract. I am building a museum and now need the art. She inherited $100 million dollars and has two hug wineries her name is*****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
You can file a replevin action against the person holding your property. A replevin is an action where you are asking the court to order someone who legally came into possession of your property to return it when they refuse.
The court also has authority to award damages to you.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have follow up questions feel free to ask. It is never a problem.
Best regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I have made an offer for additional services.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
735 ILCS 5/Art. XIX heading)
(735 ILCS 5/19-101) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-101)
Sec. 19-101. When brought. Whenever any goods or chattels have been wrongfully distrained, or otherwise wrongfully taken or are wrongfully detained, an action of replevin may be brought for the recovery of such goods or chattels, by the owner or person entitled to their possession.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-102) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-102)
Sec. 19-102. When not available. No action of replevin shall lie on behalf of a defendant against whom a judgment or attachment is in the process of enforcement, to recover goods or chattels seized by virtue thereof, unless such goods and chattels are exempted, by law, from such enforcement of the judgment or attachment; nor shall an action of replevin lie for such goods and chattels at the action of any other person, unless such other person has, at the time, a right to reduce the goods taken to his or her possession.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-103) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-103)
Sec. 19-103. Venue. The venue provisions applicable to other civil cases shall apply to actions of replevin; and in addition an action of replevin may be brought in any county in which the goods or chattels or any part of them are located.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-104) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-104)
Sec. 19-104. Complaint. An action of replevin shall be commenced by the filing of a verified complaint which describes the property to be replevied and states that the plaintiff in such action is the owner of the property so described, or that he or she is then lawfully entitled to the possession thereof, and that the property is wrongfully detained by the defendant, and that the same has not been taken for any tax, assessment, or fine levied by virtue of any law of this State, against the property of such plaintiff, or against him or her individually, nor seized under any lawful process against the goods and chattels of such plaintiff subject to such lawful process, nor held by virtue of any order for replevin against such plaintiff.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-105) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-105)
Sec. 19-105. Notice. The defendant shall be given 5 days written notice in the manner required by rule of the Supreme Court, of a hearing before the court to contest the entry of an order for replevin. No order for replevin may be entered nor may property be seized pursuant to an order for replevin prior to such notice and hearing except as provided in Section 19-106 of this Act.
As to any particular property, the right to notice and hearing established in this Section may not be waived by any consumer. As used in this Section, a consumer is an individual who obtained possession of the property for personal, family, household, or agricultural purposes.
Any waiver of the right to notice and hearing established in this Section must be in writing and must be given voluntarily, intelligently, and knowingly.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-106) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-106)
Sec. 19-106. Exception to requirement of notice. Notice to the defendant is not required if the plaintiff establishes and the court finds as a matter of record and supported by evidence that summary seizure of the property is justified by reason of necessity to:
(1) protect the plaintiff from an immediately impending harm which will result from the imminent destruction or concealment of the disputed property in derogation of the plaintiff's rights in the property;
(2) protect the plaintiff from an immediately impending harm which will result from the imminent removal of the disputed property from the State, taking into consideration the availability of judicial remedies in the event of such removal;
(3) protect the plaintiff from an immediately impending harm which will result from the perishable nature of the disputed property under the particular circumstances at the time of the action;
(4) protect the plaintiff from an immediately impending harm which will result from the imminent sale, transfer or assignment of the disputed property to the extent such sale, transfer or assignment is fraudulent or in derogation of the plaintiff's rights in the property;
(5) recover the property from a defendant who has obtained possession by theft.
At an ex parte hearing to determine if notice is not required, the court shall examine the evidence on each element required by this Section or any written waiver of rights presented by the plaintiff. If the court finds that notice is not required, or that the waiver is in accordance with law, it shall order a hearing as soon as practicable on the entry of an order for replevin.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-107) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-107)
Sec. 19-107. Hearing for entry of order. At the hearing on the entry of an order for replevin, which may be a hearing to contest pursuant to notice under Section 19-105 of this Act or an ex parte hearing pursuant to a finding under Section 19-106 of this Act, the court shall review the basis of the plaintiff's claim to possession. If the plaintiff establishes a prima facie case to a superior right to possession of the disputed property, and if the plaintiff also demonstrates to the court the probability that the plaintiff will ultimately prevail on the underlying claim to possession, the court shall so find as a matter of record and an order for replevin shall be entered by the court.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-108) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-108)
Sec. 19-108. Direction of order. The order shall be directed to the sheriff or other proper officer of the proper county, to serve; and for the purpose only of service as summons shall be directed also to any person authorized to serve summons.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-109) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-109)
Sec. 19-109. Order. The order for replevin shall require the sheriff, or other officer to whom it is directed to take the property, describing it as in the complaint, from the possession of the defendant, and deliver the same to the plaintiff unless such defendant executes a bond and security as hereinafter provided, and to summon the defendant to answer the complaint or otherwise appear in the action, or in case the property or any part thereof is not found and delivered to the sheriff or other officer, to answer to the plaintiff for the value of the same. The order for replevin may be served as a summons for a trial on the merits of the case by any person authorized to serve summons.
(Source: P.A. 83-707.)
(735 ILCS 5/19-110) (from Ch. 110, par. 19-110)
Sec. 19-110. Several counties involved. Additional certified copies of the order for replevin may be issued by the clerk of court, upon the request of the plaintiff, to be used in several counties.
(Source: P.A. 82-280.)