Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I got a DUI and was ordered to do community labor but didn't

Customer Question

Hi! I got a DUI and was ordered to do community labor but didn't do it. I got an extension but the deadline is coming up and I won't have it done in time. The judge said no more extensions. If they give me jail time how does that effect my criminal record? or is it just the same DUI mark on my record?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
If you have 6 of the 8 days done by your court date, it would be a very hard judge who would put you in jail and not allow you to finish the two remaining days.
Go in, show proof that you’ve completed 6 days and tell the court that you’ll be able to make the remaining two days your first priority. Then do so.
If you do end up going to jail, your record will reflect the same conviction, but it will show that you did jail time for the charge. That may make it more likely for you to get another jail offer if you get in trouble again, because in general, the stakes go up with repeat offenses.