Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am "living with" my girl friend years (on & off). Being a

Customer Question
I am "living with" my...
I am "living with" my girl friend for 12 years (on & off). Being a 3 time loser with 8 figure liquid net worth, I choose not to be married. We have a 12 year old who lives with us and she has a 16 year old male child who lives with us. We reside in the state of Florida (a "vicarious" liability state). I understand that if he happens to drive a motor vehicle that is titled in my name that I am "vicariously" liable for bodily injury. Therefore, his grandmother is going to buy him a car and put the title into his name. My insurance company wants to rate my auto insurance policies (I own 12 motor vehicles, mostly classics & collector cars) and some very high performance cars. I carry a $5 million Umbrella policy and they do not know that he lives in my household.
If he only drives the 1 car that is titled in his name, do I have ANY liability for him in the event of an accident.
If I DO NOT tell my insurance company that he lives in my house am I running the risk of voiding what coverage I do have?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/14/2015
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I think there may be some confusion...it is true that if you own a car and let him drive it and there is an accident that it MAY be possible to hold you liable. But it is no means automatic.
But I am not sure I understand your question...You are not going to let him drive any of your cars...but you want to know if you have to tell your auto insurance company he lives with you?
Tina, Lawyer