Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I purchased a building yesterday that suffered storm damage

Customer Question

I purchased a building yesterday that suffered storm damage It has been Condemned by the Building Commissioner as a safety hazard, but the city has taken no action to secure the building to prevent access by strangers, nor have they removed the accumulated combustible material in the building . The chief of police is going to arrest me because it is a police matter that I am not allowed to enter the building to secure the rear door to the building and to assess the damage to the second floor space. The Madison County Prosecutor says the Chier of Police is not required to tell me what code I am in violation of and that if I want to know I will need to have the Chief of Police put me in handcuffs and take me to jail and arrest me. He has threatened to do just that.
marKeith
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, did you purchase the building before or after condemnation by the city? Also, did you contact the city prior to purchase and obtain permission to enter it and to fix the code violations?