How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5684
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being pulled into court by an ex boss of mine and I

Customer Question

I am being pulled into court by an ex boss of mine and I cannot afford an attorney. He is trying to sue me for money I don't really owe him and I can't prove anything. The big problem is the court date is Monday and today is Thursday. The lawyer is offering to keep it out of court by me signing a judgement that says I'm agreeing to payback the monies I don't owe. My big question is what happens if I don't sign this judgement and cannot show up in court Monday.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experiencein this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

You have two options in all reality. The first would be to seek to have the court and opposing ocounsel hopefully agree to adjourn the hearing to another later day. If you cannot get agreement, then you'd have to file an emergency motion basically explaining the reasons why you cannot make it Monday. You may be successful in that if it is the first extension you're asking for in the matter, but I wouldn't try to do this too many times.

The second option you have is to not show up. A default judgment (for the full amount requested in the complaint) would be entered against you. You'd then have to ask the court to set aside the judgment via motion. Your motion would have to explain good cause for not making the hearing, and explain an affidavit of merit - i.e. how you are not liable for the debt. It is in the judge's discretion really to grant either one of these. I suppose the third option is to just do nothing - a judgment would be entered against you and the attorney would try to take your property and wages to satisfy the debt or you could work out some payment option.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you needclarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will behappy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If youare otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I met with the lawyer for my ex boss and now the court date will be moved. I really don't understand why.I told her I wanted to work something out. I'm not sure what's going to happen now. What's my next move?
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
You need to think about whether you want to contest it in court, make a deal or some combination of the both. If you think they simply cannot make a case, you may want to hire an attorney and flat out contest it. If you think you owe something, you should make a deal of some amount lesser than what they are asking for in the lawsuit.